1.23.2012

DIY Burlap Lamp Shade

Hey hey! I'm taking a break from my crafting hiatus to fill you in on my progress, starting with this burlap lamp shade I made.  I realized with the Dave Ramsey program starting this Sunday that that is where the fire under my rear came from to finish all these projects I've had on my To-Do list for so long.  We're in debt with my student loads, so for the next year or so (or however long it takes us to pay it off) the reoccurring question at Joann's Fabrics will be "Is this more important than putting that money toward paying off our debt?" Boo. So I'm in go mode until January 29th. 

It's no secret that I love me some Pottery Barn but I do get slightly nauseated at their prices.  My wallet says no thank you. So instead, I tried my hand at making my own.

   

I started by rolling the shade along the burlap and cutting off the excess fabric. I kept enough to be able to fold it under the shade.  Now, cover the shade in fabric glue and re-rolled with the burlap. Let dry.


Using the fabric glue again and clothes pins, I slowly folded and glued my way around the top and bottom of the lamp.



*I used wax paper to prevent the clothes pins from sticking to the fabric*

Then I folded the fabric where it overlaps to create a clean crease and secured it with fabric glue.


I also decided to give the base a couple of coats of antique white paint to update the look a bit.  


 Super easy, super cheap & super cute (well I think so). :)

2 comments:

  1. that looks amazing!! I have an ugly one I need to recover. Come do it for me pleeeease

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a girl after my own heart! i did a burlap lamp shade redo to one of my shades. and yours turned out great, i love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...