4.06.2012

Thoughts on Good Friday

I've taken it upon myself to enjoy the first hour of today to dive deep into the Easter story, the story of the Cross, and enjoy a sermon on it as well.


I never get tired of reading or hearing these critical chapters in scripture. It's like that one movie you've seen hundreds of times, you know, the one that you recite all the lines to. It's like watching that movie for that 101 time and still being moved to tears at the end even though you knew it was coming. Clearly, this is a very simplified comparison to the truth and reality of scripture, but, you get what I mean.


Every time I sit down to read it, I am moved to tears, overpowered with thankfulness and humility. My heart can't help but want to leap out of my chest exclaiming, "Truly this was the Son of God!!!" just like the centurion for everyone to hear and know.



When the centurion and those who were with him, keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe and said, “Truly this was the Son of God!”

Matthew 27:54


I also can't help be see my own sinfulness and selfishness as I read these chapters. I see my sinfulness in Judas' betrayal of Jesus (when I try to do things on my own instead of through the strength of the Spirit), in Peter's denial of knowing Christ (when I'm in an uncomfortable position), and in the disciples fleeing from Christ during his arrest (when I am consumed with fear).


Because of our sinful condition, God sent His only son to die in our place, to take on all of our sins, to restore our relationship with Him and to deepen our fellowship with Him.


Yet it was our weaknesses he carried; it was our sorrows that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God, a punishment for his own sins! But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed. All of us, like sheep, have strayed away. We have left God’s paths to follow our own. Yet the Lord laid on him the sins of us all.
Isaiah 53:4-6


The Lord was carrying OUR sins on the cross! Ours! He was wounded and crushed for our iniquity.


“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”
1 Peter 2:24


So, the question I am now sitting with and challenge you to dwell on as well is, do you really believe that? Not do you know this, but do you actually believe it and live it out? Do I truly believe in the deepest part of my soul, so much that it has changed how I live and act, that "the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all"?


As followers of Christ, we cannot believe that our sins have been nailed to the cross, and at the same time live in sin with unrepentant hearts. Christ did not die on the cross to remove sins penalty so we can still live in it. He died on the cross to remove sin from our life so we may live a righteous life.
Without Christ we don't have the ability to live righteously. Christ died so we can live righteously.
This doesn't mean we will always be perfect in being sinless. We are humans and cannot achieve that kind of perfection. The only one who was perfectly sinless was Jesus. Struggling with sin is different than living in sin. As Christians when we struggle with sin, we repent. We turn from that sin and turn to Him for strength to overcome that sin and to walk and live according to His will.


"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
John 10:10


He died for us so we might live like Him.


What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
Romans 6:1-3





2 comments:

Thanks for leaving me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...